Unfortunately, evidence has emerged that COVID disproportionally affects people who are overweight and obese. To help better prepare for a possible second wave of the pandemic, the government are poised to launch a weight loss drive to help prepare the country.
Weight loss has benefits not solely limited to improving COVID-19 outcomes. Recent studies have found that 10kg weight loss in an obese individual will also:
- Lower systolic BP by 10mmHg in hypertensive individuals
- Reduce HbA1c by 15% in diabetic individuals
- Reduce total cholesterol by 10% in all patients
- Improve joint pain and mood
- Reduce risk of obesity-related cancers
Please refer to the weight management section in our Wellbeing Centre for more information on how you can tackle your weight.